Monday 25 January 2010

Omani Women - Get a Life!

It’s been a busy week, but glad I’m back to blogging!

So I realized I’m somewhat self-sexist. I don’t know whether the term actually exists, but what I mean is, I’m sexist against women. Not all women, but in particular females of my culture. I’m getting bored of them!

And here’s why: women looooove talking about the following topics:

  • Relationships with their husbands/significant others and the never ending problems (and the solution is always “let it be, he’ll come around”, and honey, he never comes around! He gets a 2nd wife instead)
  • Raising their children – “my kids never study! I don’t know what to do!”
  • Makeup (obviously)
  • How to beautify every single part of their body
  • The “awful” and “horrible” housemaids, whom they depend on 24/7
  • Whether they’re “glowing” today or not – seriously they ask me this every time I see them – and if my answer is yes, then a mini-45-minute-long-lesson will start on what product(s)they’ve been using recently, and how I must use them as well
  • Which shops currently have sales/special offers
  • Cooking (especially new dessert recipes)
  • How to decorate/design their houses
  • And of course, GOSSIP GOSSIP GOSSIP

On the other hand, men (usually, when I’m around) talk about these topics:

  • Business/work
  • Politics
  • New technologies
  • Cars
  • Soccer
  • The news in general

Putting “cars” aside, all men’s topics are interesting! I don’t mind the female topics per se, but I do mind talking about them, and only them, the whole-bloody-time! Seriously women, get a life! The topics are getting boring, repetitive, and basically shallow. Even when women attempt discussing men topics, they make them womanly! For example, when talking about work, it’ll be about the other horrible colleagues, or how hard work is yet they have to get back home and do a 100 other things for the husband and kids, and so on. “Complaining” would always be reflected in every topic, and I really mean every topic, they discuss. Aaaargh!

I’m sorry if I’m insulting anyone, I know lots of girls aren’t like that (and those are the ones I’m closest to), and I noticed the blogosphere is where lots of the exceptions stand out. I also have to admit that guys can be very shallow at times:

However, please ladies, do something more useful will you? If you’re bored, I don’t know – go to dance classes! Try out random things : drive around, cover your faces, and flirt with those penniless guys in Mercedes on the streets (this might change your daily routine a bit); try planting some flowers instead of the endless dusty tiles; watch the news every now and then – they’re not all bloody and devastating stories. We should perhaps have a special Ramadhan in which for one month, instead of boycotting food/drinks/sex during sunlight, we should boycott housemaids! Oh that’ll definitely make the ladies of the house get a life. LOL. And they might understand their children for once.

Anyway, you get my point. Am I the only one feeling this? Does this occur in all cultures, or just Oman/the Gulf? How can I induce a change?

8 comments:

  1. asalamuwaleikum ! kaif halak ?
    thafaddali horuma , sukhraan

    what i meant was
    welcome to my blog, thank you

    Nice post .. thanks for the insight.
    i am afraid i cant give you any suggestions on inducing change :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. But I enjoy talking about all the above listed mundane topics, I'll never change :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL Scarlet thanks! Wa alaikum assalam, and welcome to my blog too :D Glad you liked the post :)

    Jaz, I like talking about the same topics too, but I only mind it when they're the only topics we talk about! Anyway, you're blog is proof that you talk/think about other amazing topics too.. that's why I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trying to be, Scarlet.. trying..

    ReplyDelete

  5. بسم الله والصلاة والسلام على رسول الله
    الاخت الفاضله:
    زيارتي الاولى لكم بعد قرائتي تعليقا لطيفا لك على مدونة اللادين(نور)
    اشكرك على دفاعك عن دينك وافتخارك بكونك مسلمه مؤمنه عكس البعض الذين تبرؤوا من دينهم لنقص في شخصياتهم..

    تقبلي احتراماتي

    وادعوك لزيارة مدونتنا الفتيه (ارض الإيمان) والتي تعنى بمواجهة الملاحده وضحض ادعائاتهم وشبهاتهم ومغالطاتهم

    فأهلا بك هناك

    ونطمع بمشاركاتك عندنا
    والسلام عليكم



    إبن الايمان

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like you said, talking about the same trivial topics repetitively can become extremely annoying, especially ones that are brought up for the sake of complaining and nothing more. The maid topic has become a mantra for most women, and it’s so so frustrating!

    It’s really sad to see how their world has shrunk to involve their households only and nothing more, while there’s so much going on in the bigger world, in their communities and outside, things they might not be aware of, even if they were, to them they’re not worth discussing, because they don’t relate to them directly, because it hurts their brain to stretch a muscle, because it’s just ‘easier’ to complain, and talk about issues that do not require any reading, or extra effort of any kind.

    See we can’t hit any one on the hand and ask them to engage in more intellectual conversations or create useful habits for themselves. I’m thinking a mini talk or a workshop teaching women how to be motivated and spend their precious free time doing something productive for themselves and for their community would probably be great as a first step. Eventually, they’ll end up having better things to talk about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ibn Al-Eman: Thanks for your invitation, I'll certainly have a thorough read of your blog :)

    Alma: I really agree with you, it's easier to complain rather than think and discuss more worthwhile topics. I'll think about the mini talk and how I can do that without "offending" anyone ;) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment :)