Sunday 31 January 2010

Shit!

The strangest thing happened to me today. I left work 5 minutes early to finish off some chores that had been hanging around my head for the past month. Just as I left the building heading to my car, I felt something thick and wet get thrown on me! I let out a squeaky scream (quite a girly one, I must admit) and looked around… nothing… looked above… and there it was. Right at the top of the multi-floor building was this arrogant fluffy ass of a bird. BIRD SHIT fell on my head!!!

Aaaaaaaaa! At first I was in denial, and confusion. Then it hit me and I felt angry, frustrated and ever so annoyed. Anger was followed by a shocked giggle – it was such a hilarious situation! Next I felt so paranoid: What do I look like? Is there poo all over my head? I promptly started rummaging through my bag’s contents searching for tissue – Alas, it happened that I didn’t have any today. I quickened my steps to the car, opened the front mirror and started cleaning off the disgustingness. Worst of all, although I wear a headscarf, the poo managed to find its way through it and slowly tickle my hair. Yuck!

On my way home I couldn’t stop thinking: “Why? Why me?” It was such a coincidental occurrence. It’s not like I’m a slow walker. It happened that the exact second my brain ordered my leg to take one more step ahead, the poo decided to be there in time for a warm welcome. It certainly changed my program for the day: chores cancelled, shower immediately. Did Allah want to protect me from something bad that could’ve happened to me at those shops I was heading to, and wanted me safe and sound at home? Or did Allah want to punish me for a misdemeanor I have recently done? Was it protection or punishment? Whatever the case is, I thanked Allah that it wasn’t any worse, asked Him for forgiveness if it was indeed punishment, and hoped this happened for my benefit. (Don’t ask me how!)

When I told mom about the incident she said “Don’t worry, bird poo is Baraka (a blessing), and be positive – something good will happen to you soon”. I asked: “Says who? Our culture, or our prophet? Because if it’s not the latter, then I don’t believe it”. She remained silent. Poor mom, I love her.

Anyway, now I can say a bird once shat on me. What’s your interesting/weird/funny story?

3 comments:

  1. Something similar happened to me when I was studying abroad, I missed the train I was supposed to take home and the next one was scheduled 30 mins later, so I was waiting for the next one and I felt some warm liquid fall on my right shoulder, and there it was, fresh bird poo.

    I love to think that everything happens for a reason, that every little thing we do or happens to us is just a small piece of puzzle that fits right in its place, even if we cant see it at that time. Maybe like you said, this happened to prevent you from a bad encounter, or a bad incident, or it could be pure coincidence :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever the reason was, I hope it was a good one :) Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. that was funny and well written lol

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment :)